IEC 60662:2011 specifies performance requirements for high-pressure sodium vapour lamps for general lighting purposes which comply with the safety requirements of IEC 62035. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 1980 and its amendments. It constitues a technical revision. Main items that required development of the 2nd edition of IEC 60662 are:
- restriction to performance requirements. Safety requirements are given in IEC 62035: Discharge lamps (excluding fluorescent lamps) - Safety specifications;
- introduction of a test device for ignition;
- split of the lamp data sheets which make use of the test device and those which do not;
- provisions for measurement during starting, measurement of electrical and photometrical characteristics and tests for lumen maintenance and life;
- general review e.g. of maximum lamp outlines and alignment of data;
- new order of data sheets by wattage.