IEC 60494-1:2013 specifies the general assembly characteristics which are to be applied to pantographs, to enable current collection from the overhead contact line system. It also specifies the tests the pantographs have to perform, excluding insulators. The main technical changes with regard to the previous edition are as follows:
- simplification and standardization of the tolerances for static contact force;
- definition of a new investigation test Measurement of mean static contact force at ambient temperature;
- deletion of combined test Total contact force;
- definition of a new combined test Check of operating system at maximum speed;
- new Annex Static contact force tolerances in Japan.