IEC 60335-2-41:2012 deals with the safety of electric pumps for liquids having a temperature not exceeding 90 °C, intended for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances. Examples of appliances within the scope of this standard are aquarium pumps, pumps for garden ponds, shower-boost pumps, sludge pumps, submersible pumps, table fountain pumps and vertical wet pit pumps. This fourth edition cancels and replaces the third edition published in 2002 including its Amendment 1 (2004) and its Amendment 2 (2009). It constitutes a technical revision. The principal changes in this edition as compared with the third edition of IEC 60335-2-41 are as follows:
- added a normative reference to IEC 60364-7-702 and updated the title for IEC 60364-7-701,
- clarified the normal operation for pumps in 3.1.9,
- added requirements for deep well pumps in 3.105 and 25.8,
- modified 15.102 to indicate that the tube connecting the inlet to the outlet may go via a tank containing a suitable volume of water so as to avoid overheating the pump,
- deleted references in the bibliography and deleted or converted to normative the notes from 7.1, 22.101, and 22.106. The attention of National Committees is drawn to the fact that equipment manufacturers and testing organizations may need a transitional period following publication of a new, amended or revised IEC publication in which to make products in accordance with the new requirements and to equip themselves for conducting new or revised tests. It is the recommendation of the committee that the content of this publication be adopted for implementation nationally not earlier than 12 months or later than 36 months from the date of publication.
Keywords: Pumps, submersible, sludge, shower-boost.