IEC 60335-2-15:2012 deals with the safety of electrical appliances for heating liquids for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V. Appliances intended for normal household and similar use and that may also be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. If the appliance is intended to be used professionally to process food for commercial consumption, the appliance is not considered to be for household and similar use only. As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities; orlack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction or children playing with the appliance. This sixth edition cancels and replaces the fifth edition published in 2002 including its Amendment 1 (2005) and its Amendment 2 (2008). The principal changes in this edition as compared with the fifth edition of IEC 60335-2-15 are as follows:
- added requirements for soy milk makers;
- added requirements for dynamic pressure cookers;
- expanded requirements for cordless kettles to cover cordless appliances throughout document;
- reorganized 7.12 so that instructions related to generic types of appliances covered by this part are listed first;
- converted notes to normative (5.2, 7.12, 19.101, 22.7, 22.106, 24.1.5, 24.4, 25.101) text;
- deleted Note in 19.102. The attention of National Committees is drawn to the fact that equipment manufacturers and testing organizations may need a transitional period following publication of a new, amended or revised IEC publication in which to make products in accordance with the new requirements and to equip themselves for conducting new or revised tests. It is the recommendation of the committee that the content of this publication be adopted for implementation nationally not earlier than 12 months or later than 36 months from the date of publication.
Keywords: Appliances, Heating, pressure cookers, kettles
This publication is to be read in conjunction with IEC 60335-1:2010.