IEC 60079-35-1:2011 specifies requirements for the construction, testing and marking of caplights, including caplights with a point of connection for other equipment, for use in mines susceptible to firedamp (Group I - electrical equipment for explosive gas atmospheres as defined in IEC 60079-0). It deals only with the risk of the caplight becoming a source of ignition. The requirements for performance are in IEC 60079-35-2. This standard supplements and modifies the general requirements of IEC 60079-0 except as indicated in Table 1. This first edition cancels and replaces the second edition of IEC 62013-1, published in 2005, and constitutes a full technical revision. The main technical differences with respect to the previious edition are:
- the introduction of a means to achieve an equipment protection level (EPL) of Ma;
- the introduction of a single clause relating to equipment construction replacing individual specific clauses for the headpiece, battery, cable and external charging contacts;
- the deletion of statements relating to surface temperature, the rewording of statements relating to creepage and clearance and the addition of statements relating to thermal protection, electronic assemblies and additional circuitry;
- specific referenc to lithium cells;
- the addition of statements relating to battery recharging and protection against deep discharge.