IEC 60079-17:2013 applies to users and covers factors directly related to the inspection and maintenance of electrical installations within hazardous areas only, where the hazard may be caused by flammable gases, vapours, mists, dusts, fibres or flyings. It does not include:
- other fundamental installation and inspection requirements for electrical installations;
- the verification of electrical equipment;
- the repair and reclamation of explosion protected equipment (see IEC 60079-19). This standard supplements the requirements of IEC 60364-6. In the case of dusts, fibres or flyings the level of housekeeping may influence the inspection and maintenance requirements. This standard is intended to be applied where there can be a risk due to the presence of explosive gas or dust mixtures with air or combustible dust layers under normal atmospheric conditions. It does not apply to:
- underground mining areas,
- dusts of explosives that do not require atmospheric oxygen for combustion,
- pyrophoric substances. This fifth edition cancels and replaces the fourth edition published in 2007 and constitutes a technical revision. The significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition are as follows:
- Equipment specific inspection tables for luminaires, heating systems and motors have been added into Annex A to supplement the general protection concept tables;
- Document has been updated to complement the changes made to IEC 60079-14 for initial inspection.
Keywords: inspection and maintenance of electrical installations within hazardous area, flammable gases, vapours, mists, dusts, fibres or flyings
This publication is to be read in conjunction with IEC 60364-6:2006.