Gas Trade: Unit 9 - Introduction to gas appliances
CSA Group's 2019 Gas Trade materials reference the Red Seal Program's trade outlines for your preparation to become a nationally recognized gasfitter. Please visit the Red Seal Program's website for more details.
Installing and reactivating gas appliances requires a thorough knowledge of venting systems, types of burners, ignition systems, controls and safeties, and the characteristics of individual vented and non-vented appliances. This unit covers the details necessary for a gas technician/fitter to safely and efficiently install appliances. It also covers the requirements for converting appliances between propane and natural gas.
At the end of this unit you will be able to:
• Describe venting.
• Describe the operation and applications of various burners.
• Describe pilots, ignition systems, and temperature sensing devices.
• Describe controls and safeties.
• Describe non-vented and vented gas appliances.
• Describe the requirements for converting an appliance between natural gas and propane.
• Describe the reactivation of appliances.
The Training materials have been revised to include the following changes throughout the training units:
▪ Updated language to enhance student understanding
▪ Revised references and links to the most current legislation
▪ Revisions include new technologies used in the industry
▪ Updated look and feel