Codes & Standards - Purchase
GAS TRADE: UNIT 31 (7th ed. pub. 2020)
Gas Trade: Unit 31 - Valve trains and burners
CSA Group's 2020 Gas Trade materials reference the Red Seal Program's trade outlines for your preparation to become a nationally recognized gasfitter. Please visit the Red Seal Program's website for more details.
A valve train is a manifold of components and piping that supplies fuel and air to a burner. Gas technicians/fitters must be familiar with:
- components that make up main fuel trains, air supply trains, and pilot air/fuel trains;
- burners; and
- how to install and maintain burners and gas trains so that gas-fired appliances operate safely and with maximum fuel efficiency.
Gas technicians/fitters are also frequently called on to convert gas appliances from one fuel to another, which involves changes to the valve train and burner.
At the end of this unit, you will be able to:
• Identify valve train components used in specific valve trains;
• State the sequence of operation of major valve trains;
• Describe the operation of common gas flow controllers;
• Describe common types of burners;
• Describe maintenance and troubleshooting procedures for valve trains and burners; and
• Describe procedures for converting large appliances to alternate fuels.
The 7th Edition of the Training materials are revised to include the following changes:
• Updated to current standards and codes.
• Updated assignment questions and added chapter numbers.
• Assignment questions now included at the end of each chapter.
• New preface with a listing of standards and codes referenced in each module.