Codes & Standards - Purchase
GAS TRADE: UNIT 26 (7th ed. pub. 2020)
Gas Trade: Unit 26 - Flame safeguard
CSA Group's 2020 Gas Trade materials reference the Red Seal Program's trade outlines for your preparation to become a nationally recognized gasfitter. Please visit the Red Seal Program's website for more details.
This unit covers typical flame safeguard controls on industrial equipment, commercial equipment, gas-fired burners, and associated equipment that manage burner operation. These controls include components such as flame detectors, operating and safety devices that stop and start the burner, valves, sequencing relays, and auxiliary controls for burner safety control systems.
The gas technician/fitter must be familiar with the functions performed by the flame safeguard system and the types of associated controls that manage safe burner operation.
The features of flame safeguard systems for industrial and commercial equipment differ somewhat from those on residential equipment. Differing flame safeguard system functions on larger equipment include pre-purge sequencing, post-purge sequencing and timing requirements as larger equipment require a shorter trial for ignition periods and quicker flame failure response timings.
At the end of this unit, you will be able to:
• Describe flame characteristics and the sensors that detect flame;
• Identify different types of pilots;
• Identify different types of flame safeguard controls;
• Troubleshoot and service flame safeguard systems;
• Describe code requirements relating to flame safeguard; and
• Look up and identify features from manufacturer's specifications.
The 7th Edition of the Training materials are revised to include the following changes:
• Updated to current standards and codes.
• Updated assignment questions and added chapter numbers.
• Assignment questions now included at the end of each chapter.
• New preface with a listing of standards and codes referenced in each module.