Gas Trade: Unit 20 - Hydronic heating systems
CSA Group's 2020 Gas Trade materials reference the Red Seal Program's trade outlines for your preparation to become a nationally recognized gasfitter. Please visit the Red Seal Program's website for more details.
A thorough understanding of hydronic heating system operation, servicing, and maintenance is an important part of a gas technician’s/fitter’s training in order to install and maintain a gas-fired boiler.
Be aware that connections to gas appliances that include potable, hydronic, refrigerant, duct work, and electrical connections that exceed the essential components affecting the safe operation of the appliance, though potentially not mentioned within the Gas Code, must meet local provincial and municipal code requirements and may fall outside of the scope of practice of a gas technician/fitter. It is the responsibility of the gas technician/fitter to comply with all codes as well as their local trade regulations.
At the end of this unit, you will be able to:
• Describe hydronic system boilers;
• Describe distribution and control systems;
• Describe circulators;
• Describe installation checks and servicing of hydronic boiler controls; and
• Describe installation and servicing of pool heating systems.
The 7th Edition of the Training materials are revised to include the following changes:
• Updated to current standards and codes.
• Updated assignment questions and added chapter numbers.
• Assignment questions now included at the end of each chapter.
• New preface with a listing of standards and codes referenced in each module.