Codes & Standards - Purchase
GAS TRADE: UNIT 20 (6th ed. pub. 2019)
Gas Trade: Unit 20 - Hydronic heating systems
CSA Group's 2019 Gas Trade materials reference the Red Seal Program's trade outlines for your preparation to become a nationally recognized gasfitter. Please visit the Red Seal Program's website for more details.
A thorough understanding of hydronic heating system operation, servicing, and maintenance is an important part of a gas technician’s/fitter’s training in order to install and maintain a gas-fired boiler.
Be aware that connections to gas appliances that include potable, hydronic, refrigerant, duct work, and electrical connections that exceed the essential components affecting the safe operation of the appliance, though potentially not mentioned within the Gas Code, must meet local provincial and municipal code requirements and may fall outside of the scope of practice of a gas technician/fitter. It is the responsibility of the gas technician/fitter to comply with all codes as well as their local trade regulations.
At the end of this unit you will be able to:
• Describe hydronic system boilers;
• Describe distribution and control systems;
• Describe circulators;
• Describe installation checks and servicing of hydronic boiler controls; and
• Describe installation and servicing of pool heating systems.
Several CSA Group Standards are applicable to these sections. You should review these Standards:
• CSA B214, Installation code for hydronic heating systems;
• CSA F280, Determining the required capacity of residential space heating and cooling appliances;
• CSA F383, Installation of packaged solar domestic hot water systems; and
• CSA B64.10, Selection and installation of backflow preventers.
The Training materials have been revised to include the following changes throughout the training units:
▪ Updated language to enhance student understanding
▪ Revised references and links to the most current legislation
▪ Revisions include new technologies used in the industry
▪ Updated look and feel