This is the first edition of CAN/CSA-Z24512, Activities relating to drinking water and wastewater services - Guidelines for the management of drinking water utilities and for the assessment of drinking water services, which is an adoption, with Canadian deviations, of the identically titled ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standard 24512 (first edition, 2007-12-01).
This Standard has been developed in compliance with Standards Council of Canada requirements for National Standards of Canada. It has been published as a National Standard of Canada by CSA Group.
This International Standard provides guidelines for the management of drinking water utilities and for the assessment of drinking water services.
This International Standard is applicable to publicly and privately owned and operated water utilities. It does not favour any particular ownership or operating model.
This International Standard addresses drinking water systems in their entirety and is applicable to systems at any level of development (e.g. on-site systems, distribution networks, treatment facilities).
The following are within the scope of this International Standard:
- the definition of a language common to different stakeholders;
- the definition of the components of drinking water supply systems;
- guidelines for the management of drinking water utilities;
- guidelines for objectives, service assessment criteria and related performance indicators, appropriate for the assessment of drinking water services.
The following are outside the scope of this International Standard:
- target values and thresholds for proposed objectives, service assessments criteria and related performance indicators;
- matters relating to the design and construction of drinking water systems;
- matters relating to the management structure of drinking water utilities;
- matters relating to the regulation of drinking water services, including management and operational activities;
- matters relating to regulating the content of contracts or subcontracts;
- installations between point-of-delivery and point-of-use.
NOTE 1 This International Standard, ISO 24510 and ISO 24511 comprise a series of standards addressing water services. It is therefore advisable to use these three International Standards in conjunction with each other.
NOTE 2 The list of terms and definitions in Clause 2 is common to this International Standard, ISO 24510 and ISO 24511.
NOTE 3 Annex A contains three tables of correspondence between equivalent terms in English, French and Spanish.