Codes & Standards - Purchase
CAN/CSA-ISO/TS 22559-1-07 (R2016)
This is the first edition of CAN/CSA-ISO/TS 22559-1, Safety requirements for lifts (elevators) - Part 1: Global essential safety requirements (GESRs), which is an adoption without modification of the identically titled ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Technical Specification 22559-1 (first edition, 2004-02-01).
This part of ISO/TS 22559
- specifies global essential safety requirements (GESRs) for lifts (elevators), their components and functions, and
- establishes a system and provides methods for minimizing safety risks that may arise in the course of, the operation and use of, or work on, lifts (elevators).
NOTE 1 Hereinafter in this part of ISO/TS 22559, the term lift is used instead of the US term elevator.
NOTE 2 See Clause 5 regarding the use and application of this Technical Specification.
This part of ISO/TS 22559 is applicable to lifts that are intended to carry persons, and that can
a) be located in any permanent and fixed structure or building, except lifts located in
1) private residences (single family units), and
2) means of transport, e.g. ships;
b) have any
1) rated load, size of load carrying unit and speed, and
2) travel distance and number of landings;
c) be affected by fire in the load-carrying unit (LCU), earthquake, weather or flood;
d) be misused (e.g. overloaded) but not vandalized.
This part of ISO/TS 22559 does not specifically cover
a) all needs of users with disabilities1), or
b) risks arising from
1) work on lifts under construction or during alterations and dismantling,
2) use of lifts for fire fighting and emergency evacuation,
3) vandalism, and
4) fire outside the LCU.