This part of ISO/IEC 18013 establishes guidelines for the design format and data content of an ISO compliant driving licence (IDL) in regard to both visual human-readable features and ISO machine-readable technologies. It creates a common basis for international use and mutual recognition of the IDL without impeding individual national/community/regional motor vehicle authorities in taking care of their specific needs.
The design approach of the IDL ISO ID-1 size card and accompanying booklet with sleeve insert pocket is intended to replace the international driving permit (IDP) paper document (see annex G).
The basis of document design premises includes
- a minimum common mandatory data element set;
- a common layout for ease of recognition;
- minimum security requirements.
At the discretion of national/community/regional motor vehicle authorities, it
- allows for inclusion of supplementary optional data elements to meet the needs of specific national/community/regional requirements apart from the minimum common mandatory data element set;
- allows for the incorporation of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC17 machine-readable technologies including magnetic stripe, integrated circuit with contacts, contactless integrated circuit and optical memory technology, and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC31 1-dimensional / 2-dimensional bar codes, at the option of national/community/regional authorities;
- allows for the incorporation of current and future technologies (including biometrics, cryptography, data compression) at the option of national/community/regional authorities;
- allows for additional document physical security elements at the option of national/community/regional authorities, and facilitates international procurements.
A major benefit of these design premises is that a single card may serve a dual purpose of both a national/community/regional licence as well as an internationally recognized licence. Therefore, one card, in some cases, can replace the need for two documents. Alternatively, those countries that choose to maintain their individual domestic design can issue a second card with or without ISO machine-readable technologies to replace the current IDP paper document.