This part of ISO/IEC 11518 specifies a physical-level, point-to-point, full-duplex, link interface for reliable, flow-controlled transmission of user data at 6 400 Mbit/s per direction, across distances of up to 1 km. A parallel copper cable interface for distances of up to 40 m is specified. Connections to a separate longer-distance optical interface are provided. Small fixed-size micropackets provide an efficient, low-latency structure for small transfers, and a component for large transfers.
Specifications are included for:
- automatic retransmission to correct flawed data;
- the format of a small data transfer unit called a micropacket;
- a message structure that includes routing information for network applications;
- end-to-end, as well as link-to-link, checksums;
- the timing requirements of the parallel signals;
- a parallel interface using copper coaxial cable;
- connections to a separate local optical interface;
- a link-level protocol tuned for a maximum distance of 1 km.