This Recommendation / International Standard defines a Systems Management Function that may be used by an application process in a centralized or decentralized management environment to interact for the purpose of systems management, as defined by CCITT Rec. X.700 / ISO/IEC 7498-4. This Recommendation / International Standard defines a function which consists of generic definitions, services and functional units. This function is positioned in the application layer of CCITT Rec. X.200 / ISO/IEC 7498 and is defined according to the model provided by ISO 9545. The role of systems management functions is described by CCITT Rec. X.701 / ISO/IEC 10040.
This Recommendation / International Standard
- establishes user requirements for this Recommendation / International Standard;
- establishes a test model that relates the service and generic definitions provided by this function to user requirements;
- defines generic object classes, attribute types, action types, notification types, packages and parameters documented in accordance with CCITT Rec. X.722 / ISO/IEC 10165-4;
- specifies compliance requirements placed on other standards that make use of these generic definitions;
- defines the service provided by the function;
- specifies the protocol that is necessary in order to provide the service;
- defines the relationship between this service and SMI operations and notifications;
- specifies the abstract syntax necessary to identify and negotiate the functional unit in protocol;
- defines relationships with other systems management functions;
- specifies conformance requirements to be met by implementations of this Recommendation / International Standard.
This Recommendation / International Standard does not
- define the nature of any implementation intended to provide the Test management function;
- specify the manner in which management is accomplished by the user of the Test management function;
- define the nature of any interactions which result in the use of the Test management function;
- specify the services necessary for the establishment, normal and abnormal release of a management association;
- specify the details of specific tests or test categories;
- specify a framework or methodology for conformance tests.