This standard is applicable to capacitor units and capacitor banks
intended to be .used in particular for power-factor correction of a.c.
power systems having a rated voltage above 60 V and a frequency of 15 Hz
to 60 Hz.
It is also applicable to capacitors intended for use in power filter
1. Additional definitions, requirements and test for filter capacitors
are given in Appendix C.
2. Additional requirements for capacitors to be protected by internal
fuses, as well as requirements for the
internal fuses, are given in IEC Publication 593.
3. Requirements for capacitors to be protected by external fuses, as
well as requirements for the external fuses, are given in Appendix D.
4. This standard is not applicable to high-voltage capacitors composed
of low-voltage capacitors of the self-healing metallized dielectric
type. Additional defmitions, requirements and tests for self-healing
capacitors will be found in the future IEC Publication XXX.
5. The following are also excluded from this standard:
- Shunt capacitors for a.c. power systems of up to and including 660 V rated voltage (IEC Publiation XXX, in preparation).
- Capacitors for induction heat-generating plants, operating at frequencies between 40 Hz Itnd 24000 Hz(IEC Publication 110).
- Series capacitors (IEC Publication 143).
- Capacitors for motor applications and the like (IEC Publication 252).
- Coupling capacitors and capacitor dividers (IEC Publication 358).
- Capacitors to be used in power electronics circuits (IEC Publication YYY (under consideration).
- Small a.c. capacitors to be used for fluorescent and discharge lamps (IEC Publication 566).
- Capacitors for suppression of radio interference (I E C Publication z:z:z (under consideration).
- Capacitors intended to be used in various types of electrical equipment and thus considered as components.
- Capacitors intended for use with d.c. voltage superimposed on the a.c. voltage.
6. Accessories, such as insulators, switches, instrument transformers,
external fuses, etc., shall comply with
the relevant IEC standards.