Codes & Standards - Purchase
The 27th edition of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code (OESC) includes the 24th edition of the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, plus Ontario-specific amendments. The OESC is the law in Ontario for electrical installation. This new edition has been updated to enhance electrical safety and better protect electrical workers and the public.
Highlights and Key Changes:
• Requirements for bonding and grounding in Section 10 have been reorganized and reduced in size with some changes that will improve safety and simplify the installations;
• Expanded the use of Tamper-resistant receptacles in educational facilities and hotels/motels;
• Requirements for installing an identified (neutral) conductor at each control (switch) location of permanently installed luminaire;
• Greater alignment with the Ontario Building Code to prevent the installation of high-voltage conductors over buildings;
• Providing of adequate working space for electrical workers to undertake necessary repairs, maintenance and installation of transformers greater than 50kVA;
• Prohibiting of installation of cables in concealed locations in corrugated roof decking;
• Adding requirements for Energy Storage systems and
• Facilitating the use of Power over Ethernet to provide a pathway for sources of electricity.
Why You Need the New Edition of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code
Compliance with the requirements of the latest edition of the OESC is the law for anyone performing electrical installations in the province of Ontario. The new OESC is based on the 24th edition of the Canadian Electrical Code Part I, which is developed through the efforts of a number of volunteer technical committees and subcommittees representing key electrical industry stakeholders and jurisdictions across Canada.
Updated every three years in collaboration with safety partners; the 2018 OESC reflects changes in technologies and best practices and helps decrease the risk of injuries and costly re-works of electrical installation projects in Ontario.
Preface to the 27th edition of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code
This edition of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code contains the standards referenced by the Ontario Regulation made in 2018 pursuant to the Electricity Act regarding the Ontario Electrical Safety Code.
Reference should always be made to the Regulation, and amendments thereto, as may be made from time to time.
This edition contains electrical safety requirements for wiring and equipment in buildings, structures, and premises, with the exception of mines, railways, aircraft, marine vessels, installations used for communication purposes, and automobiles. As electrical hazards occur mainly because of overloading and abuse of wiring systems, it is recommended that initial installations be planned with adequate provision for possible future uses of electricity.
The 27th edition of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code consists of CSA C22.1-18, Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, and the Ontario Amendments to CSA C22.1-18, Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, dated November 2018.