We are pleased to announce that we have converted this course to a virtual, instructor-led format. Virtual courses may take place over several days in half day sessions. We have redesigned all our courses to maximize learning in a virtual environment. Students will still have the opportunity to participate and interact with the instructor.
Virtual Training – Virtual PM sessions will be delivered 13:30 – 17:30 ET.
Each Attendee participates in the live, instructor-led sessions via a dedicated desktop or laptop. Tablet and Mobile are not compatible to the CSA Group’s Webex Training sessions.
Public courses can be available in both virtual and in person instructor lead formats. Please complete this form to highlight your preference and we will contact you once a course matching your requirements is available.
Overview (Course Description)
Designing, constructing, operating and maintaining Canadian pipelines require not only specific skill sets but intimate knowledge of the requirements of the latest 2019 edition of CSA Z662 Oil and Gas Pipeline Systems. CSA Z662 is a National Standard of Canada, and is referenced in all federal, provincial and territorial regulation, many of whom adopt the new edition immediately upon release.
Focusing on the general requirements of oil and gas pipelines, this newly-updated course reviews all relevant clauses in the latest 2019 edition of the Z662 standard, as well as its application through all pipeline phases, from design through to abandonment. A greater emphasis on practical information, exercises and case studies assist in conveying the standard's requirements and rules that apply across various workplaces. This course provides a timely update to previous participants of CSA Z662 training, and serves as a solid foundation from which to participate in additional, more specialized training.
• Design Engineers
• Construction Supervisors
• Operations Managers
• Integrity Managers
• Project Managers
• Health & Safety Environment Advisor
• QC/QA Professionals
• Records Management Professionals
• Pipeline Inspectors
• Regulatory staffs in both federal and provincial level
Why Get Your Training From CSA?
CSA Group's training faculty draws from the volunteers who helped develop standards such as CSA Z662 using balanced industry representation and CSA Group's recognized accredited process. This often allows instructors to provide additional insights on the rationale behind many of the changes in the updated standard that participants can directly apply to their own roles and organizations, helping deliver additional return on their training investment.
• Oil industry fluids
• Gas industry fluids
• Critical terms
• Newly defined terms
• Safety and Loss Management
• Integrity Management
• Engineering assessments
• Risk Acceptance Criteria
• Risk Assessment, including hazard identification, risk analysis, and risk evaluation
• Risk Control
• Risk Monitoring and Review
• Communication and Documentation
• Pressure containment
• Area Classification
• Component design
• Compressor and pump station design
• Operational control
• Material toughness
• Material Selection
• Reuse of Materials
• ROW activities
• Transport and Handling
• Inspection techniques
• Activities on pipeline rights-of- way
• Clearing, grading, and ground disturbances
• Pipe and components handling
• Bends and elbows in steel piping
• Alignment and welding
• Protective coatings
• Arc and gas welding — General
• Arc and gas welding — Joint configurations
• Welding details of opening with localized type of reinforcement
• Welding details for branch-to-run pipe connection
• Arc and gas welding — Materials
• Pipe and components
• Filler metals and fluxes
• Shielding gases
• Arc and gas welding — Qualification of welding procedure specifications
• Welding procedure specifications
• Welding process and method
• Corrosion protection
• ROW inspections
• Pipeline operations & maintenance
• Pipeline deactivation, reactivation and abandonment
Izak is a mechanical engineer with more than 30 years experience in integrity management of pressure equipment, pipelines and aeronautics engineering. He has extensive experience in the application of NDE technics, finite element analysis and fatigue assessments. He has been involved in pipeline integrity and construction quality assurance and, since 2003, in the application of CSA Z662 for upstream facilities and steam pipelines for SAGD facilities. Izak has worked in the Alberta oil and gas and utilities industries, and has acted as contract Chief Inspector for various oil and gas companies and a number of SAGD projects. Izak is Vice Chair of the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Council of Alberta, and member of the CSA B51 Technical Committee and ASME Post Construction Subcommittee on Inspection Planning. Izak is also a management and engineering consultant to the energy and utilities industries.
Kash Verma is a highly respected engineering professional with over 36 years experience in the oil and gas industry. He is an innovative and strategic thinker who exercises sound technical, analytical and engineering skills to deliver multi-million dollar projects. Kash is successful in leading, guiding and mentoring others to excel at work and in their personal lives. Kash has been a training consultant/instructor for over 5 years after leaving Amoco/BP. He is ranked excellent by his students for his ability to transfer and share his oil and gas experience, skills and knowledge. He has designed and written several courses for the pipeline industry. Kash Verma has M. Eng. degree in Mechanical Engineering from McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario. He is a registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Alberta and BC.
Each Attendee participates in the live, instructor-led sessions via a dedicated desktop or laptop. Chromebooks, Tablets and Mobiles are not compatible to the CSA Group’s Webex Training sessions.
Operating Systems/Browser Recommendations:
• Windows – Version 8 or higher
• Edge browser 42 and later
• Mozilla Firefox 52 and later
• Chrome 65 and later (32-bit/64-bit)
Mac OS X:
• MAC – Version 10.13 or higher
• Firefox 52 and later
• Safari 11 and later
• Chrome 65 and later (32-bit/64-bit)
• Headset, headphones with microphone, or computer/device with speakers/microphone (required for audio)
• Video camera (optional)
• Java 6 and Java 7 (for web browsers that support Java) are enabled
• Cisco WebEx plug-ins is enabled for Chrome 32 and later
• Plug-ins are enabled in Safari
• Active X is enabled and unblocked for Microsoft Internet Explorer
• Open all learning materials using Adobe Reader. Click here to install (it is free).