Standards development within the Information Technology sector is harmonized with international standards development. Through the CSA Technical Committee on Information Technology (TCIT), Canadians serve as the Canadian Advisory Committee (CAC) on ISO/IEC Joint Technical Committee 1 on Information Technology (ISO/IEC JTC1) for the Standards Council of Canada (SCC), the ISO member body for Canada and sponsor of the Canadian National Committee of the IEC. Also, as a member of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), Canada participates in the International Telegraph and Telephone Consultative Committee (ITU-T).
For brevity, this Standard will be referred to as CAN/CSA-ISO/IEC 24791-2 throughout.
At the time of publication, ISO/IEC 24791-2:14 is available from ISO and IEC in English only. CSA Group will publish the French version when it becomes available from ISO and IEC.
This Standard has been formally approved, without modification, by the Technical Committee and has been approved as a National Standard of Canada by the Standards Council of Canada.
This part of ISO/IEC 24791 defines the interface(s) that provide operations on RFID tag data including, but not limited to, reading, writing, collection, filtering, grouping, and event subscription and notification within the Software System Infrastructure (SSI).
Specifically, the interface(s) defined by this part of ISO/IEC 24791 provide the following features:
- full support for the commands and responses for air protocols supported by this part of ISO/IEC 24791 at an abstraction level appropriate for Data Management's position in the SSI architecture defined in ISO/IEC 24791-1;
- an abstract definition of commands and operations that can be applied to different network bindings and encoding mechanisms;
- support for the encoding mechanisms defined in ISO/IEC 15962;
- volume reduction, format or structure modification, data analysis, and data access appropriate for Data Management's position in the SSI architecture defined in ISO/IEC 24791-1;
- reporting of data to support application or data managing in formats controlled by the client, either inside or outside of SSI.
This part of ISO/IEC 24791 is composed of the EPCglobal Application Level Events Standard, in its entirety, with extensions to further support operation with ISO/IEC 15962 and the air protocols defined by ISO/IEC 18000.