Standards development within the Information Technology sector is harmonized with international standards development. Through the CSA Technical Committee on Information Technology (TCIT), Canadians serve as the Canadian Advisory Committee (CAC) on ISO/IEC Joint Technical Committee 1 on Information Technology (ISO/IEC JTC1) for the Standards Council of Canada (SCC), the ISO member body for Canada and sponsor of the Canadian National Committee of the IEC. Also, as a member of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), Canada participates in the International Telegraph and Telephone Consultative Committee (ITU-T).
This Standard supersedes CAN/CSA-ISO/IEC 15963-05 (adoption of ISO/IEC 15963:2004, first edition, 2004-09-01). At the time of publication, ISO/IEC 15963:2009 is available from ISO and IEC in English only. CSA will publish the French version when it becomes available from ISO and IEC.
This Standard has been formally approved, without modification, by the Technical Committee and has been approved as a National Standard of Canada by the Standards Council of Canada.
This International Standard describes numbering systems that are available for the identification of RF tags.
The unique ID can be used
- for the traceability of the integrated circuit itself for quality control in its manufacturing process
- for the traceability of the RF tag during its manufacturing process and along its lifetime
- for the completion of the reading in a multi-antenna configuration
- by the anti-collision mechanism to inventory multiple tags in the reader's field of view, and
- for the traceability of the Item to which the RF tag is attached.