Standards development within the Information Technology sector is harmonized with international standards development. Through the CSA Technical Committee on Information Technology (TCIT), Canadians serve as the Canadian Advisory Committee (CAC) on ISO/IEC Joint Technical Committee 1 on Information Technology (ISO/IEC JTC1) for the Standards Council of Canada (SCC), the ISO member body for Canada and sponsor of the Canadian National Committee of the IEC. Also, as a member of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), Canada participates in the International Telegraph and Telephone Consultative Committee (ITU-T).
At the time of publication, ISO/IEC TR 9126-4:2004 is available from ISO and IEC in English only. CSA will publish the French version when it becomes available from ISO and IEC.
This Technical Report defines quality in use metrics for the characteristics defined in ISO/IEC 9126-1, and is intended to be used together with ISO/IEC 9126-1.
This Technical Report contains:
- an explanation of how to apply software quality metrics;
- a basic set of metrics for each characteristic;
- an example of how to apply metrics during the software product life cycle.
It includes as informative annexes a quality in use evaluation process and a reporting format.
This Technical Report does not assign ranges of values of these metrics to rated levels or to grades of compliance, because these values are defined for each software product or a part of the software product, by its nature, depending on such factors as category of the software, integrity level and users' needs. Some attributes may have a desirable range of values, which does not depend on specific user needs but depends on generic factors, i.e. human cognitive factors.
This Technical Report can be applied to any kind of software for any application. Users of this Technical Report can select or modify and apply metrics and measures from this Technical Report or may define application-specific metrics for their individual application domain. For example, the specific measurement of quality characteristics such as safety or security may be found in International Standards or Technical Reports provided by IEC 65 and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC 27.
Intended users of this Technical Report include:
- Acquirer (an individual or organization that acquires or procures a system, software product or software service from a supplier);
- Evaluator (an individual or organization that performs an evaluation. An evaluator may, for example, be a testing laboratory, the quality department of a software development organization, a government organization or user);
- Developer (an individual or organization that performs development activities, including requirements analysis, design and testing through acceptance during the software life cycle process);
- Maintainer (an individual or organization that performs maintenance activities);
- Supplier (an individual or organization that enters into a contract with the acquirer for the supply of a system, software product or software service under the terms of the contract) when validating software quality at qualification test;
- User (an individual or organization that uses the software product to perform a specific function) when evaluating quality of software product at acceptance test;
- Quality manager (an individual or organization that performs a systematic examination of the software product or software services) when evaluating software quality as part of quality assurance and quality control.