The purpose of ITU-T Rec. T.410-Series / ISO/IEC 8613 is to facilitate the interchange of documents.
In the context of this series of Recommendations / International Standards, documents are to be items such as memoranda, letters, invoices, forms and reports, which may include pictures and tabular material. The content elements used within the documents may include graphic characters, raster graphics elements and geometric graphics elements, all potentially within one document.
NOTE - This series of Recommendations / International Standards is designed to allow for extension, including hypermedia features, spreadsheets and additional types of content such as audio and video.
In addition to the content types defined in this series of Recommendations / International Standards, ODA also provides for arbitrary content types to be included in documents.
This series of Recommendations / International Standards applies to the interchange of documents by means of data communications or the exchange of storage media.
This series of Recommendations / International Standards provides for the interchange of documents for either or both of the following purposes:
- to allow presentation as intended by the originator;
- to allow processing, such as editing and reformatting.
The composition of a document in interchange can take several forms:
- formatted form, allowing presentation of the document;
- processable form, allowing processing of the document;
- formatted processable form, allowing both presentation and processing of the document.
This series of Recommendations / International Standards also provides for the interchange of ODA information structures used for the processing of interchanged documents.
This ITU-T Recommendation / International Standard:
- defines the purpose of the document profile;
- specifies the attributes which constitute the document profile.