CAN/CSA-ISO/IEC 10164-8-95 (R2014)
Information Technology - Open Systems Interconnection - Systems Management: Security Audit Trail Function (Adopted ISO/IEC 10164-8:1993, first edition, 1993-06-15)
This Recommendation | International Standard defines the security audit trail function. The security audit trail function is a systems management function which may be used by an application process in a centralized or decentralized management environment to exchange information and commands for the purpose of systems management, as defined by CCITT Rec. X.700 | ISO 7498-4. This Recommendation | International Standard is positioned in the application layer of CCITT Rec. X.200 | ISO 7498 and is defined according to the model provided by ISO/IEC 9545. The role of systems management functions is described by CCITT Rec. X.701 | ISO/IEC 10040.
This Recommendation | International Standard
- establishes user requirements for the service definition needed to support the security audit trail reporting function;
- defines the service provided by the security audit trail reporting function;
- specifies the protocol that is necessary in order to provide the service;
- defines the relationship between the service and management notifications;
- defines relationships with other systems management functions;
- specifies conformance requirements.
This Recommendation | International Standard does not define
- a security audit, nor how to perform one. A security audit may be used to assist in assessing the effectiveness of a security policy. The security policy identifies the categories of security-related events that require auditing, and the location of the security audit trail log in which they are to be recorded;
- the nature of any implementation intended to provide the security audit trail function;
- the occasions where the use of the security audit trail function is appropriate;
- the services necessary for the establishment, normal and abnormal release of a management association;
- any other notifications defined by other Recommendations | International Standards which may be of interest to a security administrator.