Training - Online
Medical Device Reprocessing in Community Health Care Settings for Ontarians
Available to Ontario Residents Only
Individual registration is recommended. Please direct participants within your organization to register for the courses of interest individually.
CSA Group, in collaboration with the Ontario Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD), is providing access to complimentary elearning to Ontario residents to reduce the burden of compliance and assist with economic recovery.
Infection prevention and control (IPC) are protective practices that mitigate the risk of transmission of infection. The key to implementing effective IPC in community health care settings is to ensure that all personnel are trained, knowledgeable and skilled in IPC best practices including the safe reprocessing of semi-critical and critical medical devices.
This self-paced online training course provides theory, principles and practical information about reprocessing and IPC. There are four modules available for students depending on their unique community health care practice and area of expertise. All four modules include the same core reprocessing training lessons for community health care settings with additional lessons for those with specific reprocessing needs for dental devices, foot care devices and endoscopes.
The online training course includes a variety of online lessons with audio and visual material as well as a document library with links to relevant PDF reading material and online self-assessment quizzes. Upon conclusion of the online course, and successful completion of course quizzes, participants will receive a record of course completion.
This online training course has not been designed to serve as a training pre-requisite for the Certified Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (CMDRT) Certification.
- Gain an understanding of infection prevention and control and semi-critical and critical medical device cleaning, disinfecting and sterilizing (reprocessing) best practices
- Enhance existing practical and hands on skills to increase efficiency and effectiveness of reprocessing procedures
- Understand and apply theory and principles related to decontamination, assembly, sterilization and storage, and distribution in medical device reprocessing
- Learn the basic concepts of patient safety, occupational health and safety, risk management and the prevention of infections
Estimated Completion Time
- 11 hours (90-day course access)
* Complimentary access is only available to residents of Ontario. Participants must register for courses by March 30, 2022. Courses may be accessed for 90 days after registration.
Target Audience (Ontario Residents Only)
- Medical Device Reprocessing Technicians
- Medical Device Reprocessing Supervisors
- Front Line Workers who perform semi-critical and critical medical device reprocessing in Community Health Care Settings
- Medical Device Reprocessing Students
Why Get Your Training From CSA Group?
You'll be guided through a comprehensive program of study that has been developed by a team of industry professionals, many of whom had direct involvement in the development of the relevant standards.
You'll gain in-depth knowledge of key changes to the latest edition of the standard and get answers to your specific questions from an experienced instructor.
CSA Group provides a wide range of training with dates and locations from coast to coast; customized training can also be provided onsite at your place of business.
Lessons Covered in Four (4) Separate Online Courses
There are four (4) different online courses available to purchase for students depending upon their unique community health care practice and area of expertise. Please review the lessons covered and select the online course option best suited to your needs. The first online course contains core lessons and is necessary for the completion of this course. The other three online courses build on the first online course (Core) and are optional as they are setting and/or device specific. Some of the key lessons included in the online courses are:
Core - Reprocessing in a Community Health Care Setting
- Reprocessing and IPC basics
- General requirements for MDR personnel
- MDR tasks for decontamination, disinfection, and sterilization
- Routine monitoring, documentation and recalls
Core (plus Dental Devices) - Reprocessing Dental Devices
- Infection Prevention and Control in dental settings
- Reprocessing steps for dental devices
- Standards, Organizations and considerations specifically for dental settings
Core (plus Foot Care Devices) - Reprocessing Foot care Devices
- Review of foot care devices
- Reprocessing reusable foot care devices
- Considerations for home care
Core (plus Endoscopes) - Reprocessing Endoscopes
- Reprocessing steps unique to endoscopes
- Manual cleaning of endoscopes
- Automated reprocessing of endoscopes
- Quality assurance and record keeping
Note: Online training purchases will be activated within 1 business day.
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
- Pentium II 450MHz or higher, 128 MB RAM
- if using windows, we recommend XP or newer
For web browser:
- Internet Explorer 7 and up (we also support newer version of Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and Opera)
- All pop-up blockers either disabled or set to allow pop-ups from this website; cookies enabled for this website
NOT Accessible on mobile/portable devices such as iPads (iOS) and tablets (Android)