This course is part of the CSA Group Modular Online Training. This online course provides an overview of Section 16 in the 2018 Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1. Rather than reviewing the Code in its entirety, this course is designed to provide an overview of Section 16 of the CE Code.
Section 16 is a general Section of the Code that gives requirements for Class 1 and Class 2 circuits.
This Section covers:
Class 1 and Class 2 remote control circuits;
Class 1 and Class 2 signal circuits;
Class 1 extra-low-voltage power circuits; and
Class 2 low-energy power circuits. Communication circuits as specified in Section 60 and circuits forming an integral part of a device are not covered in this Section
The requirements set out in Section 16 are based on two assumptions:
Under normal conditions, voltages not more than 30 V (i.e., extra-low voltages) do not constitute a shock hazard great enough to require Rules as restrictive as those for voltages greater than 30 V.
Under normal conditions, power levels not exceeding 100 V•A do not constitute a fire hazard great enough to require Rules as restrictive as those for power levels greater than 100 V•A. However, exceptions are made for hazardous locations, as defined in Section 0 and explained in Section 18.
A certificate of achievement is provided upon completion of the course.
For nearly 90 years, the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I has been and continues to be a comprehensive model Code that provides guidance to help make electrical installations and equipment safer.
- Gain an understanding of section 16 as it relates to Class 1 and Class 2 circuits in the 2018 CE Code, Part 1
- Understand the requirements for power supplies, portions of the circuit beyond the power supply, and overcurrent devices to ensure the safe limitation of the voltage, current, or power used by Class 1 and Class 2 circuits.
Estimated Completion Time:
- 35 minutes (90 day course access)
All professionals, apprentices and students in the electrical industry
C22.1-18 2018 Canadian Electrical Code
Note: Online training purchases will be activated within 1 business day.
For web browser:
- Microsoft Edge (we also support newer version of Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and Opera)
- All pop-up blockers either disabled or set to allow pop-ups from this website; cookies enabled for this website
NOT accessible on mobile/portable devices such as iPads (iOS) and tablets (Android).