CSA ISO/IEC 19794-5:19
Information technology — Biometric data interchange formats — Part 5: Face image data (Adopted ISO/IEC 19794-5:2005, first edition, 2005-09-01)
Standards development within the Information Technology sector is harmonized with international standards development. Through the CSA Technical Committee on Information Technology (TCIT), Canadians serve as the SCC Mirror Committee (SMC) on ISO/IEC Joint Technical Committee 1 on Information Technology (ISO/IEC JTC1) for the Standards Council of Canada (SCC), the ISO member body for Canada and sponsor of the Canadian National Committee of the IEC. Also, as a member of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), Canada participates in the International Telegraph and Telephone Consultative Committee (ITU-T).
For brevity, this Standard will be referred to as CSA ISO/IEC 19794-5 throughout.
At the time of publication, ISO/IEC 19794-5:2005 is available from ISO and IEC in English only. CSA Group will publish the French version when it becomes available from ISO and IEC.
This Standard has been formally approved, without modification, by the Technical Committee and has been developed in compliance with Standards Council of Canada requirements for National Standards of Canada. It has been published as a National Standard of Canada by CSA Group.
This document specifies
- A record format for storing, recording, and transmitting the information from one or more facial images within a CBEFF data structure,
- Scene constraints of the facial images,
- Photographic properties of the facial images,
- Digital image attributes of the facial images.
Each requirement is specified for the following Face Image Types, respectively.
- Basic: This is the fundamental Face Image Type that specifies a record format including header and image data. All Face Image Types adhere to the properties of this type. No mandatory scene, photographic and digital requirements are specified for this image type.
- Frontal: A Basic Face Image Type that adheres to additional requirements appropriate for frontal face recognition and/or human examination. Two types of Frontal Face Image Types are defined in this document, Full Frontal and Token Frontal (or simply Token).
- Full Frontal: A Face Image Type that specifies frontal images with sufficient resolution for human examination as well as reliable computer face recognition. This type of Face Image Type includes the full head with all hair in most cases, as well as neck and shoulders. This image type is suitable for permanent storage of the face information, and it is applicable to portraits for passport, driver license, and mug shot images.
- Token Frontal: A Face Image Type that specifies frontal images with a specific geometric size and eye positioning based on the width and height of the image. This image type is suitable for minimizing the storage requirements for computer face recognition tasks such as verification while still offering vendor independence and human verification (versus human examination which requires more detail) capabilities.