Training - Online
SPE-2.1 Series-20 - Online Training
CNG Vehicle Fuel Containers: This course reviews safety information and best practices associated with Defueling, Decommissioning and Destroying CNG vehicle fuel containers at the end of their life.
LNG Vehicle Fuel Tanks: This course reviews the requirements of the SPE 2.1.2 document to ensure safe defueling decommissioning and disposal of LNG vehicle fuel tanks.
While organizations across the United States and Canada are seeing the environmental and economic benefits of using compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquefied natural gas (LNG) tanks as an alternative energy source, there are many CNG containers in service right now that are either damaged or are approaching their end of life. These containers pose a significant safety risk to technicians and inspectors.
This training course provides guidance on the best practices and safety measures for the defueling, decommissioning, and disposal of these CNG fuel containers and LNG vehicle fuel tanks. Leveraging the insights of subject matter experts with decades of experience in the CNG and LNG industries, the course is designed to be used by industry professionals, container and tank owners, and Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) to safely and effectively remove containers and tanks from service.
With an emphasis on safety, this interactive e-learning course communicates these best practices in easy-to-understand language and incorporates learning tools such as informative videos, illustrative articles, guidelines, pictures and diagrams. The course also includes references to industry forums, bulletins, and useful links.
CNG Vehicle Fuel Containers:
- Recognize importance of defueling, decommissioning and disposal of CNG containers
- Identify the types of containers
- Describe owner responsibilities and requirements for safe removal and disposal consideration (4 steps)
- Outline various safety requirements when working with CNG
- Provide overview of the defueling process and methods
- Outline how to safely purge a CNG container
- Describe what to do if you need to decommission a container that has a malfunctioning valve
- Learn how to decommission a cylinder and render it useless for future use
- Recognize how to properly dispose of a CNG container
LNG Vehicle Fuel Tanks:
- Define terminology within the document
- Recognize the importance of properly defueling, decommissioning and disposal of LNG tanks
- Describe owner responsibilities and requirements for safe removal and disposal
- List the best practices sequence procedure for removal of condemned tanks
- Describe various safety requirements when working with LNG
- Identify the basic rules for defueling
- Recognize the correct order for the steps in the defueling process
- Recall the requirements for using a flare stack
- Identify when it is safe to remove valves
- Describe the steps to removing a valve
- Describe how to make a tank inoperable
- Recognize the requirements around tank disposal
- Certified CNG Cylinder and Fuel System Inspectors
- Professionals in the NGV industry including manufacturers and technicians
- Salvage yard owners/operators
- Public officials in cities where there are fueling stations
Estimated Completion Time
CNG Vehicle Fuel Containers: (1.5 hours), LNG Vehicle Fuel Tanks (1.5 hours)
Financial Support From:
Why Get Your Training From CSA?
CSA Group has been developing and maintaining an internationally-recognized portfolio of standards-based solutions serving the needs of the petroleum and natural gas industry for more than 45 years. Our training is delivered by instructors who are well-versed in the nuances of these important standards. Simply put, we are uniquely capable of giving you the knowledge that helps you comply with the standards we've developed.
SPE-2.1 SERIES-20 - Best practices for defueling, decommissioning, and disposal of compressed natural gas vehicle fuel containers and liquefied natural gas vehicle fuel tanks. Note this training does not include hydrogen.
Note: Online training purchases will be activated within 1 business day.
For web browser:
- Microsoft Edge (we also support newer version of Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and Opera)
- All pop-up blockers either disabled or set to allow pop-ups from this website; cookies enabled for this website
NOT accessible on mobile/portable devices such as iPads (iOS) and tablets (Android).