CAN/CSA-C22.2 NO. 62368-1:12
Audio/video, information and communication technology equipment - Part 1: Safety requirements (Bi-national standard, with UL 62368-1)
This is the harmonized CSA and UL standard for Audio/video, information and communication technology equipment - Part 1: Safety requirements. It is the first edition of CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 62368-1 and the first edition of UL 62368-1. This Standard is based on IEC Publication 62368-1, edition 1.0, Audio/video, information and communication technology equipment - Part 1: Safety requirements, as revised by corrigendum 1. IEC 62368-1 is copyrighted by the IEC.
This part of IEC 62368 is applicable to the safety of electrical and electronic equipment within the field of audio, video, information and communication technology, and business and office machines with a rated voltage not exceeding 600 V. This Standard does not include requirements for performance or functional characteristics of equipment.
NOTE 1 Examples of equipment within the scope of this standard are given in Annex A.
This part of IEC 62368 is also applicable to components and subassemblies intended for incorporation in this equipment. Such components and subassemblies need not comply with every requirement of the standard, provided that the complete equipment, incorporating such components and subassemblies, does comply.
This Standard specifies safeguards for ordinary persons, instructed persons, and skilled persons.
NOTE 2 In Australia, the work conducted by an instructed person or a skilled person may require formal licensing from regulatory authorities.
This Standard assumes an altitude of 2 000 m unless specified otherwise by the manufacturer.
This Standard does not apply to equipment to be used in wet areas. Additional requirements may apply.
This Standard does not apply to equipment for outdoor installation.
NOTE 3 Information and communication technology equipment that is intended for use outdoors is covered by IEC 60950-22.
This Standard does not include requirements for functional safety.
NOTE 4 For specific functional and software safety requirements of electronic safety-related systems (for example, protective electronic circuits), see IEC 61508-1.
This Standard does not address:
- manufacturing processes except safety testing;
- injurious effects of gases released by thermal decomposition or combustion;
- disposal processes;
- effects of transport (other than as specified in this standard);
- effects of storage of materials, components, or the equipment itself;
- the likelihood of injury from particulate radiation such as alpha particles and beta particles;
- the likelihood of thermal injury due to radiated or convected thermal energy;
- the likelihood of injury due to flammable liquids;
- the use of the equipment in oxygen-enriched or explosive atmospheres;
- exposure to chemicals other than those specified in Clause 7;
- electrostatic discharge events.