This is the first edition of CAN/CSA-ISO 10003, Quality management - Customer satisfaction - Guidelines for dispute resolution external to organizations, which is an adoption without modification of the identically titled ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standard 10003 (first edition, 2007-12-01).
This International Standard provides guidance for an organization to plan, design, develop, operate, maintain
and improve an effective and efficient dispute-resolution process for complaints that have not been resolved by the organization. This International Standard is applicable to:
- complaints relating to the organization's products intended for, or required by, customers, the complaintshandling process or dispute-resolution process;
NOTE 1 Throughout this International Standard, the term product encompasses services, software, hardware and processed materials.
- resolution of disputes arising from domestic or cross-border business activities, including those arising from electronic commerce.
This International Standard is intended for use by organizations regardless of type, size and product provided, and deals with
- guidance on determining when and how organizations can participate in dispute resolution
- guidance on the selection of providers and use of their services
- top management involvement in, and commitment to, dispute resolution and deployment of adequate resources within the organization
- the essentials for fair, suitable, transparent and accessible dispute resolution
- guidance on management of an organization's participation in dispute resolution, and
- monitoring, evaluating and improving the dispute-resolution process.
NOTE 2 This International Standard is particularly aimed at dispute resolution between an organization and
- individuals purchasing or using products for personal or household purposes, or
- small businesses.
This International Standard is not intended for certification or for contractual purposes. It does not apply to the resolution of other types of disputes, such as employment disputes. It is not intended to change any rights or obligations provided by applicable statutory and regulatory requirements.
This International Standard does not apply to complaints handling within an organization.