This Recommendation | International Standard is applicable to continuous-tone - grayscale or colour - digital still image data. It is applicable to a wide range of applications which require use of compressed images.
This Recommendation | International Standard:
- defines extensions [including variable quantization, selective refinement, tiling, and a Still Picture Interchange File Format (SPIFF)] to processes for converting source image data to compressed image data
- defines extensions to processes for converting compresssed image data to reconstructed image data
- defines coded representations for compressed image data
- gives guidance and examples on how to implement these extensions in practice
- describes compliance tests for these extensions.