The purpose of ISO 8613 is to facilitate the interchange of documents.
In the context of ISO 8613, documents are considered to be items such as memorandum, letters, invoices, forms and reports, which may include pictures and tabular material. The content elements us ed within the documents may include graphic characters, geometric graphics elements and raster graphics elements, all potentially within one document.
NOTE - ISO 8613 is designed to allow for extensions, including typographical features, color, spreadsheets and additional types of content such as sound.
ISO 8613 applies to the interchange of documents by means of data communications or the exchange of storage media.
ISO 8613 provides for the interchange of documents for either or both of the following purposes:
- to allow presentation as intended by the originator;
- to allow processing such as editing and reformatting.
The composition of a document in interchange can take several forms:
- formatted form, allowing presentation of the document;
- process-able form, allowing processing of the document;
- formatted process-able form, allowing both presentation and processing.
ISO 8613 also provides for the interchange of ODA information structures used for the processing of interchanged documents.
Furthermore, ISO 8613 allows for the interchange of documents containing one or more different types of content such as character text, images, graphics and sound.
This part of ISO 8613 defines
- the format of the data stream used to interchange documents structured in accordance with ISO 8613-2;
- the representation of the constituents which may appear in an interchanged document.
(1) This part of ISO 8613 does not specify the coded representation of content elements.
(2) Data formats for presentation attributes and coding attributes are defined in other parts of ISO 8613.