News & Press
New Version of Natural Gas and Propane Codes Reflect Latest Advances in Technology
2015 Edition includes consolidated clauses to make most comprehensive editions to date
CSA Group, a leading standards development organization and a global provider of testing and certification services, announces new editions of CSA B149.1-15: Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code and CSA B149.2-15: Propane Storage and Handling Code. This is the fifteenth edition of Canada’s primary code providing valuable guidance for the safe and effective installation of related appliances and equipment and the eleventh edition of the propane storage and handling code.
Important changes to the codes’ scope and definitions along with clauses consolidated from other codes make the latest edition of B149.1 and B149.2 the most comprehensive and useful editions yet. The codes have been reviewed by regulatory authorities across Canada, and are expected to be adopted into law in every Canadian province and territory.
“CSA Group has worked to make our standards more relevant and user friendly,” said Gianluca Arcari, Executive Director, Standards and Vice President, CSA Group. “We continue to modernize our processes and offer our standards in a variety of formats from printable to interactive, and include the option to bundle related codes and handbooks. We’ve listened to the feedback from our stakeholders and incorporated important updates to help ensure the codes are valuable tools in the industry.”
- appliances, equipment, components, and accessories where gas is to be used for fuel purposes,
- piping and tubing systems extending from the termination of the utility installation or from the distributor’s propane tank,
- vehicle-refuelling appliances and associated equipment meeting the requirements of a general-purpose appliance to fill a natural-gas-fuelled vehicle, and
- stationary gas engines and turbines.
- Storage, handling, and transfer of propane,
- Propane used as an engine fuel in other than highway vehicles, and
- Installation, operation and maintenance of containers and equipment to be used for propane at customer locations, in distribution locations and filling plants.
- Updated scope provides guidance on metallic fittings, stainless steel tubing, pressure regulators for propane vehicle usage, direct gas-fired process air heaters and more
- Consolidated clauses from other codes in the B149 Series make the code more comprehensive and streamlined, and
- Simplified references and definitions allow for improved applications in the codes’ clauses.
These codes are available for sale online, by calling toll free 1-800 463 6727, or via email. From the new interactive standards, to related standards, codes and products, CSA Group has a variety of options available.
About CSA Group
CSA Group is an independent, not-for-profit member-based association dedicated to advancing safety, sustainability and social good. We are an internationally-accredited standards development and testing & certification organization. We also provide consumer product evaluation and education & training services. Our broad range of knowledge and expertise includes: industrial equipment, plumbing & construction, electro-medical & healthcare, appliances & gas, alternative energy, lighting and sustainability. The CSA mark appears on billions of products around the world.
Manager, Corporate Affairs
August 5, 2015
Contact an Expert
We’re always here to help. Let’s talk.
We’re here to answer your questions and help you get started right away. Call or send us a message anytime.Contact Us