News & Press
CSA Standards Announces Recipients of the 2011 Award of Merit
CSA Standards, a leading standards-based solutions organization, today officially announces the recipients of the 2011 Award of Merit. The Award of Merit is an honour bestowed by CSA Standards to individuals that have demonstrated leadership in developing Canadian voluntary standards and who, through technical, administrative, or special standards activities, have advanced the purpose of CSA Standards.
The 2011 Awards of Merit were presented by Bonnie Rose, President, CSA Standards at a special awards ceremony held during the CSA Standards Annual Conference in Victoria, British Columbia.
“The recipients of this year’s Award of Merit have all positively contributed to the creation and maintenance of standards that help lead to a safer and more sustainable world,” says Bonnie Rose, President, CSA Standards. “The Award of Merit recognizes each recipient’s expertise and knowledge in their respective fields. Their outstanding service in developing these standards impact our daily lives and for this, we thank you.”
The 2011 Awards of Merit were presented to the following individuals:
- Mr. Richard Barnes of Toronto, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding leadership, expert knowledge and tireless dedication to codes and standards related to pressure equipment and nuclear technology. Mr. Barnes is President and Principal Engineer at ANRIC Enterprises, Inc.
- Mr. John J. Baron, R.E.T. of High River, Alberta, receives the Award of Merit in recognition of exceptional knowledge and participation in developing standards for oil and gas pipelines, and for inspirational championship of new technologies. Mr. Baron, an employee of Shell Canada Limited for the past 29 years, now operates a consulting firm that specializes in application and quality assurance of non-metallic coatings and piping materials.
- Dr. Alfred Brunger, B.A.Sc., M.Eng., Ph.D., P.Eng. of Mississauga, Ontario, receives the Award of Merit in recognition of tireless leadership, pioneering work and passionate commitment to developing and advancing standards related to solar energy. Dr. Brunger is Technical Manager – Energy Systems, Product Testing at Exova Canada, Inc.
- Dr. Eva F. Gudgin Dickson of Kingston, Ontario, receives the Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding leadership, valued expertise and exceptional commitment to developing and advancing standards for personal protective equipment. Dr. Dickson is Adj. Associate Professor and leader of CBRN protection group at the Royal Military College of Canada and Defence Scientist for Defence Research and Development Canada.
- Mr. Eric Jones of Ottawa, Ontario, receives the Award of Merit in recognition of renowned expertise, strong advocacy and long-standing leadership in forest products and structures standards. Mr. Jones served 30 years at Canadian Wood Council, and now consults on standards development.
- Dr. Michael Noble of Vancouver, British Columbia, receives the Award of Merit in recognition of visionary leadership, renowned expertise and dedication to the development and advancement of medical laboratory standards. Dr. Noble is a professor in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of British Columbia. He is also the founder of the Program Office for Laboratory Quality Management at UBC as well as the Clinical Microbiology Proficiency Testing program.
- Mr. Tom Pesta, P.Eng. of Calgary, Alberta, receives the Award of Merit in recognition of dedicated leadership, technical expertise and valued contributions to standards for the oil and gas pipeline industry. Mr. Pesta works as an Advisor on pipelines with the Technical Operations Group at the Energy Resources Conservation Board of Alberta.
- Mr. Brian Rolfe, P.Eng. of Mississauga, Ontario, receives the Award of Merit in recognition of pioneering work, long-standing leadership and unwavering support for safety standards related to the nuclear industry. Mr. Rolfe currently works as an independent consultant providing specialised nuclear power plant electrical design support services and ongoing technical support for green energy development projects.
- Ms. Judith Ryan of Toronto, Ontario, receives the Award of Merit in recognition of skilful and inspirational leadership, strong advocacy and valued contribution to environmental standards for the nuclear industry. Ms. Ryan is an environmental manager with 32 years of experience in nuclear, fossil and corporate environment with Ontario Hydro/Ontario Power Generation and seven years of experience as Senior Advisor – Environment with the CANDU Owners Group (COG).
- Mr. Anthony L. Scarano of Yardley, Pennsylvania, receives the Award of Merit in recognition of extensive knowledge and expertise, dedicated involvement and tenacious support for standards for the plumbing industry. Mr. Scarano works as an independent Plastics Piping Consultant involved in plumbing and mechanical codes, standards, education and marketing on a national and internal level.
- Mr. Ted Simmons of Burnaby, British Columbia, receives the Award of Merit in recognition of skilful leadership, valued involvement, and knowledge and expertise in the development and advancement of electrical codes and standards. Mr. Simmons is Chief Instructor – Electrical Trades Program at the British Columbia Institute of Technology.
- Dr. Michael Thomas, Ph.D, P. Eng. of Fredericton, New Brunswick receives the Award of Merit in recognition of influential leadership, valued research and immense contribution to standards related to cement and concrete materials. Dr. Thomas is a Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of New Brunswick.
The CSA Award of Merit
The Award of Merit was created in 1979 to honour and recognize leadership in Canadian voluntary standards development. Nominations are open to all present or past CSA voting members, as well as former CSA employees that have: served in CSA committee activity or other associated standardization work; showed leadership in technical, administrative, or special committee activities; published papers, or made public addresses, which have been of special benefit to the work of the Association; and have advanced the prestige or interest of CSA Standards.
About CSA Standards
CSA Standards is a leading standards-based solutions organization serving industry, government, consumers and other interested parties in North America and the global marketplace. Focusing on standards and codes development, application products, training, advisory and personnel certification services, the organization aims to enhance public safety, improve quality of life, preserve the environment and facilitate trade. CSA Standards is a division of CSA Group, which also consists of CSA International, which provides testing and certification services for electrical, mechanical, plumbing, gas and a variety of other products; and OnSpeX, a provider of consumer product evaluation, inspection and advisory services for retailers and manufacturers. For more information visit www.csa.ca
Version française disponible
June 14, 2011
Contact an Expert
We’re always here to help. Let’s talk.
We’re here to answer your questions and help you get started right away. Call or send us a message anytime.Contact Us