News & Press
CSA Group Announces Recipients of the 2016 Award of Merit
CSA Group, a leading standards development organization and global provider of testing and certification services, today officially announces the recipients of the 2016 Award of Merit. The Award of Merit is an honour bestowed by CSA Group to individuals that have demonstrated leadership in developing voluntary standards and who, through technical, administrative, or special standards activities, have advanced the purpose of CSA Group.
The 2016 Awards of Merit were presented by Greg Weeres, Chair of the Board, CSA Group, at a special awards ceremony held during the CSA Group Annual Conference in Vancouver, British Columbia.
“The Award of Merit recipients for 2016 are an exceptional group of people who have advanced standards development at CSA Group,” said Magali Depras, President of Standards, CSA Group. “Without our volunteers and respected leadership from our technical committee members, CSA Group would not be a leading standards development organization. CSA Group is proud to recognize the extraordinary efforts and expertise of the recipients.”
The 2016 Awards of Merit were presented to the following individuals:
- Richard de Lhorbe, P.Eng., of Richmond, British Columbia receives the Award of Merit in recognition of thoughtful leadership, extraordinary technical knowledge and dedicated support of harmonization efforts in the area of electrical safety standards. Mr. de Lhorbe is Manager, Industry Standards, at Schneider Electric.
- Michael G. Grey of Toronto, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding commitment, expertise, passion and professionalism in developing standards that support the safe and reliable operation of nuclear facilities. Mr. Grey is a Principal Consultant at Candesco, A Division of Kinectrics Inc.
- Bob Landry of Toronto, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of longstanding involvement, exceptional industry insight and determined commitment to standards promoting diving safety. Mr. Landry is now retired from the Ontario Ministry of Labour, but continues to generously give of his personal time to standards development at CSA Group.
- Célyn Le Bel of Shawinigan, Quebec receives the Award of Merit in recognition of skillful leadership, strong technical expertise and dedicated advancement of energy performance standards for a vast array of products and technologies Dr. Le Bel works as Research Scientist at Laboratoire des technologies de l’énergie.
- Arthur Leader, BA, MD, FRCSC, of Ottawa, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of well-established expertise, strong advocacy and highly respected leadership in standards relating to assisted human reproduction. Dr. Leader is a full-time practitioner at the Ottawa Fertility Centre.
- France Lemieux, M. Eng., of Ottawa, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of exceptional consensus building, deep knowledge and unwavering leadership in embedding water quality and safety in plumbing standards. Ms. Lemieux is Head of the Materials and Treatment Section within the Water and Air Quality Bureau at Health Canada.
- Patrick Martineau of Montreal, Quebec receives the Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding collaboration, unwavering leadership and valued advocacy for the use of efficiency standards in the lighting industry. Mr. Martineau is Senior Development Engineer at Hydro Quebec.
- Jim McFadgen, P.Eng., of Halifax, Nova Scotia receives the Award of Merit in recognition of proactive leadership, exemplary technical contributions and powerful championship of electrical safety standards. Mr. McFadgen is Engineering Specialist – Standards at Nova Scotia Power.
- Judy Mellott-Green of Edmonton, Alberta receives the Award of Merit in recognition of exemplary goal-oriented leadership, dedication to worker safety and advocacy of national harmonization in standards for overhead cranes and rigging. Ms. Mellott-Green is CEO of All-Canadian Training Institute Inc.
- Mehdi Rezaie-Manesh, P.Eng., of Pickering, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of resilient leadership, passionate commitment to innovation and exceptional team-building for standards relating to nuclear power plant safety. Mr. Rezaie-Manesh is Senior Technical Engineer at Ontario Power Generation.
- Nick Stark, P.Eng., of Toronto, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of long-standing contributions, exceptional leadership and keen professionalism in developing standards for health care facility design and construction. Mr. Stark is Vice President, Knowledge Management with H.H. Angus & Associates Ltd., Consulting Engineers.
- Michael Stephens of Deep River, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of effective and objective leadership, extraordinary technical knowledge and continued advancement of standards for nuclear facilities. Now retired, Dr. Stephens worked as the Manager of Strategic Planning for the Liability Management Unit at AECL.
- Brian Wilson, P.Eng., of Calgary, Alberta receives the Award of Merit in recognition of highly respected contributions, effective leadership and knowledgeable expertise in the development of oil and gas pipeline standards. He is the Senior Materials and Welding Engineer in the Calgary office of Acuren Group Inc.
The CSA Award of Merit
The Award of Merit was created in 1979 to honour and recognize leadership in voluntary standards development. Nominations are open to all present or past CSA Group voting members, as well as former CSA Group employees that have: served in CSA Group committee activity or other associated standardization work; showed leadership in technical, administrative, or special committee activities; published papers, or made public addresses, which have been of special benefit to the work of the Association; and have advanced the prestige or interest of CSA Group.
About CSA Group
CSA Group is dedicated to safety, social good and sustainability. Its knowledge and expertise encompasses membership-based, not-for-profit standards development, training and research. Through its world-class commercial subsidiaries, it provides advisory solutions and global testing, inspection and certification services across key business areas including: home and commercial, industrial, healthcare and specialized markets and technologies. The CSA certification mark appears on billions of products worldwide. For more information about CSA Group visit www.csagroup.org.
CSA Group Media Contact
Manager, Corporate Affairs
June 22, 2016
We’re always here to help. Let’s talk.
We’re here to answer your questions and help you get started right away. Call or send us a message anytime.Contact Us