News & Press
CSA Group Announces Recipients of the 2013 Award of Merit
CSA Group, a leading standards-based solutions organization, today officially announces the recipients of the 2013 Award of Merit. The Award of Merit is an honour bestowed by CSA Group to individuals that have demonstrated leadership in developing voluntary standards and who, through technical, administrative, or special standards activities, have advanced the purpose of CSA Group.
The 2013 Awards of Merit were presented by Bob Cook, Chair of the Board, CSA Group, at a special awards ceremony held during the CSA Group Annual Conference in Calgary, Alberta.
“This year’s Award of Merit recipients have all helped better the health, wellness and safety of North Americans through their individual contributions to standards,” says Bonnie Rose “The award itself recognizes a range of expertise in the fields of science, engineering, health and safety, and sustainability. CSA Group proudly recognizes the efforts and expertise of the recipients and congratulates them on their contributions to standards.”
The 2013 Awards of Merit were presented to the following individuals:
- Mr. Alberto Behar of Scarborough, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of long-standing participation, technical leadership and advocacy for standards relating to hearing protection and noise control. Mr. Behar is President of Noise Control and currently a researcher at Ryerson University.
- Mr. Gordon Burrill of Fredericton, New Brunswick receives the Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding leadership and tireless advocacy for health care standards and their application in hospital design, construction and operation. Mr. Burrill is President of Teegor Consulting, Inc.
- Mr. André Carrier of Montréal, Québec receives the Award of Merit in recognition of exceptional consensus-building, leadership and teamwork in advancing standards for energy efficiency and renewable energy initiatives. Mr. Carrier is currently responsible for Technical Support for Business Customers at Hydro-Québec (Montréal).
- Mr. Douglas R. Elsey of Mississauga, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding leadership and valued technical expertise in the development and promotion of standards for diving safety. Mr. Elsey is the Executive Director of the Canadian Association of Diving Contractors.
- Mr. Zenon J. Fraczkowski of Toronto, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of invaluable contributions to multiple standards and dedicated advocacy for their adoption and use in the fuel-burning equipment sector. Mr. Fraczkowski is the Fuels Safety Engineering Manager at the TSSA.
- Mr. Juris Grava of Owen Sound, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of exceptional leadership, strong technical knowledge and continuous advancement of CSA standards in the nuclear industry. Mr. Grava is a Senior Advisor with CANTECH Associates Ltd.
- Mr. John Hodge of Toronto, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of unparalleled subject matter expertise and passionate consumer advocacy for standards related to performance and energy efficiency. Mr. Hodge is now retired but previously worked at Honeywell and Ontario Hydro.
- Mr. Douglas Horne of Acworth, Georgia receives the Award of Merit in recognition of valued expertise, leadership, influence and dedication in developing and advancing standards relating to the natural gas industry. Mr. Horne is President of the Clean Vehicle Education Foundation.
- Mr. Richard Kinar of North Vancouver, British Columbia receives the Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding knowledge, inspiring commitment to safety, and relentless advocacy of brain injury prevention through the use of helmet standards. Mr. Kinar is currently spearheading an innovative concussion Education and Management Program to be piloted in Whistler, BC on behalf of the Brain Injury Association of Canada.
- Mr. Brian Lamond of Fort St. John, British Columbia receives the Award of Merit in recognition of inspirational leadership, teamwork and advancement of CSA Group standards for security and emergency management in the oil and gas industry. Mr. Lamond is Manager of Emergency Preparedness for Spectra Energy Transmission.
- Mr. Gilbert Montminy of Québec City, Québec receives the Award of Merit in recognition of exceptional technical expertise, unwavering dedication to safety, and distinguished contributions to electrical safety standards. Mr. Montminy is Technical Manager for the Electrical division of la Régie du Bâtiment du Québec.
- Mr. John Overall of Toronto, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of dedicated leadership and unwavering advancement of CSA Group standards for the safety and energy efficiency of fuel-burning equipment. Mr. Overall most recently was Manager of Technology Standards and Research with Union Gas.
- Mr. Shabbir Rawalpindiwala of Kohler, Wisconsin receives the Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding leadership, strong technical expertise and dedicated development and advancement of CSA Group plumbing standards. Mr. Rawalpindiwala is the Manager of Codes & Standards at Kohler Co.
- Mr. Daniel Roberts of Mississauga, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of invaluable technical knowledge, skilled leadership, committed involvement and influential contribution to electrical safety standards. Mr. Roberts is the National Safety Manager of Schneider’s Electric’s Canadian Services and Projects Division.
- Mr. Thomas Stroud of Seattle, Washington receives the Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding knowledge, tireless participation and keen advancement of standards relating to the safety of fuel-burning appliances. Mr. Stroud is the Codes and Standards Manager for the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association.
- Dr. Clive Willis of Point-Clare, Québec receives the Award of Merit in recognition of pioneering contributions, statesmanlike influence and tireless advancement of standards for the emerging area of nanotechnology. Dr. Willis is the founder of consulting company CWIC Inc.
- Mr. Howard L. Wolfman of Northbrook, Illinois receives the Award of Merit in recognition of invaluable knowledge, skilled leadership and persistent advancement of standards for the safety, performance and energy efficiency of lighting products. Mr. Wolfman formed Lumispec Consulting in 2008 which specializes in energy efficient lighting.
The CSA Award of Merit
The Award of Merit was created in 1979 to honour and recognize leadership in voluntary standards development. Nominations are open to all present or past CSA Group voting members, as well as former CSA Group employees that have: served in CSA Group committee activity or other associated standardization work; showed leadership in technical, administrative, or special committee activities; published papers, or made public addresses, which have been of special benefit to the work of the Association; and have advanced the prestige or interest of CSA Group.
About CSA Group
CSA Group is an independent, not-for-profit member-based association dedicated to advancing safety, sustainability and social good. We are an internationally-accredited standards development and testing & certification organization. We also provide consumer product evaluation and education & training services. Our broad range of knowledge and expertise includes: industrial equipment, plumbing & construction, electro-medical & healthcare, appliances & gas, alternative energy, lighting and sustainability. The CSA mark appears on billions of products around the world.
June 18, 2013
We’re always here to help. Let’s talk.
We’re here to answer your questions and help you get started right away. Call or send us a message anytime.Contact Us