News & Press
CSA Group Announces Recipients of the 2014 Award of Merit
CSA Group, a leading standards development organization and global provider of testing and certification services, today officially announces the recipients of the 2014 Award of Merit. The Award of Merit is an honour bestowed by CSA Group to individuals that have demonstrated leadership in developing voluntary standards and who, through technical, administrative, or special standards activities, have advanced the purpose of CSA Group.
The 2014 Awards of Merit were presented by Dr. Roland Hosein, Chair of the Board, CSA Group, at a special awards ceremony held during the CSA Group Annual Conference in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.
“The Award of Merit recipients for 2014 have shown a remarkable commitment to public safety, innovation and education through their individual contributions to standards,” says Bonnie Rose, President Standards, CSA Group. “The recipients represent a wide range of proficiencies, and it is through their dedication and knowledge that we are able to develop the standards that make a better, safer more sustainable world. CSA Group proudly recognizes the efforts and expertise of the recipients and congratulates them on their contributions.”
The 2014 Awards of Merit were presented to the following individuals:
- Mr. David Balmer (in memoriam) of Brampton, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding involvement, technical knowledge, providing education and advocacy related to safety standards for elevator equipment. Mr. Balmer owned and operated a consulting firm, D.C. Balmer and Associates.
- Mr. Martin Cole of Pickering, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of dedicated leadership, exceptional knowledge and insightful advancement of safety standards for products used in hazardous locations. Mr. Cole is Manager of Harsh and Hazardous Industries at Hubbell Canada.
- Dr. Steven Dain of London, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of exemplary leadership, dedicated involvement and passionate support for health care safety and standards related to anaesthesia and critical care. Dr. Dain is Associate Professor of Anaesthesia and Perioperative Medicine at the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry at the University of Western Ontario and practices clinical anaesthesia at Woodstock Hospital.
- Mr. Finbar Desir of Guelph, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of pioneering leadership, respected expertise and valued influence in developing and advancing safety standards for agriculture machinery. Mr. Desir is Farm Implements Coordinator at Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food and Ministry of Rural Affairs.
- Mr. Lakis Ellinas of Toronto, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of long-standing involvement, valued mentorship and exceptional dedication to standards related to engineering for health care facilities. Mr. Ellinas retired in 1996 from St. Michael’s Hospital where he was the Director of Planning. Since his retirement, Mr. Ellinas has continued to consult and work on numerous health care development projects.
- Mr. Barry Fleet of Whitby, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of skillful leadership, professional integrity and unrelenting advocacy of fire protection standards for Canadian nuclear power plants. Mr. Fleet recently retired from Ontario Power Generation where he was the Nuclear Regulatory Affairs Manager.
- Mr. Gary Hilton of Surrey, British Columbia receives the Award of Merit in recognition of outstanding participation, exceptional knowledge and mentorship related to the development of quality management and high voltage switchgear standards. Since retiring from BC Hydro, Mr. Hilton is now President of Hilton Industries Ltd, consulting on quality management issues.
- Mr. David Hisey of Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta receives the Award of Merit in recognition of unparalleled expertise and exceptional commitment to the development and advancement of safety standards in the use of welding equipment. Mr. Hisey retired as manager of quality assurance at Syncrude in 2010, and now works as Welding Health and Safety Advisor with the Canadian Welding Bureau.
- Dr. Diane Jakobs of Fort Smith, Arkansas receives the Award of Merit in recognition of exceptional leadership, technical knowledge and inspiring initiative related to standards for gas appliance performance and efficiency. Dr. Jakobs is Principal Engineer at Rheem Heating and Cooling.
- Ms. Lynn Johannson of Georgetown, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of exceptional professionalism, international advocacy work and passionate commitment to environmental management standards. Ms. Johannson is President of E2 Management Corporation and is Adjunct Lecturer at the University of Waterloo leading courses in stakeholder engagement, sustainability and systems thinking.
- Ms. Peggy Lepper of Ottawa, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of dedicated participation, extensive technical expertise and distinguished contributions to wood engineering codes and standards. Until her retirement in January 2014, Ms. Lepper was Director, Technical Services at the Canadian Wood Council.
- Mr. Frank Saunders of Tiverton, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of exemplary leadership, valued influence and unwavering support for the development and advancement of nuclear safety standards. Mr. Saunders is Vice-President, Nuclear Oversight and Regulatory Affairs at Bruce Power.
- Mr. Bruce Swiecicki of Frankfort, Illinois receives the Award of Merit in recognition of skillful leadership, dedicated involvement and strong commitment to the development and advancement of gas appliance standards. Mr. Swiecicki is a professional engineer and holds the position of Senior Technical Advisor at National Propane Gas Association.
- Dr. Anne Wilcock of Guelph, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of extraordinary commitment, boundless creativity and passionate support and advocacy of quality standards in business and society. Dr. Wilcock is a Professor Emerita at the University of Guelph.
- Mr. Gord Yoshida of Toronto, Ontario receives the Award of Merit in recognition of exemplary leadership, technical knowledge and strong advocacy of standards relating to fire safety and fuel-burning equipment. Mr. Yoshida is a professional engineer and Fire Protection Engineer in Ontario’s Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management.
The CSA Award of Merit
The Award of Merit was created in 1979 to honour and recognize leadership in voluntary standards development. Nominations are open to all present or past CSA Group voting members, as well as former CSA Group employees that have: served in CSA Group committee activity or other associated standardization work; showed leadership in technical, administrative, or special committee activities; published papers, or made public addresses, which have been of special benefit to the work of the Association; and have advanced the prestige or interest of CSA Group.
About CSA Group
CSA Group is an independent, not-for-profit member-based association dedicated to advancing safety, sustainability and social good. We are an internationally-accredited standards development and testing & certification organization. We also provide consumer product evaluation and education & training services. Our broad range of knowledge and expertise includes: industrial equipment, plumbing & construction, electro-medical & healthcare, appliances & gas, alternative energy, lighting and sustainability. The CSA mark appears on billions of products around the world.
Manager, Corporate Affairs
June 18, 2014
We’re always here to help. Let’s talk.
We’re here to answer your questions and help you get started right away. Call or send us a message anytime.Contact Us