Vietnam (MIC) - New Circular 01/2021/TT-BTTTT
Vietnam MIC released Circular 01/2021/TT-BTTTT on May 14, 2021 to amend and supplement the Circular 11/2020/TT-BTTTT stipulating the new list of products under MIC Type Approval and Self-Assessment DoC scope which shall take effect from July 01, 2021.
Summary of Circular 01/2021/TT-BTTTT:
- MIC has updated new national technical standards (QCVN) to the list including:
- QCVN 54:2020/BTTTT (WLAN / BT / Zigbee in 2.4GHz band)
- QCVN 74:2020/BTTTT (1GHz ~ 40GHz SRD)
- QCVN 117:2020/BTTTT (Land mobile terminals and mobile phones)
- QCVN 122:2020/BTTTT (LPWAN products and sensors)
- QCVN 101:2020/BTTTT (Lithium batteries used for mobile phone, tablet, laptops)
- MIC has removed exemption for transmitter and transceiver for products listed under Item 2 of the Annex I (Radio transmitter, transceivers using radio frequency from 9 kHz to 400 GHz) which have Tx power under 60mW. This change does not affect Wi-Fi, BT, Zigbee 2.4GHz, and 2.4GHz SRD products because they are categorized under Item 3 of Annex I. These products are still exempted if having RF power under 60mW EIRP.
- LPWAN products are now not considered as SRD like before, and allowed to have RF power exceed 25mW ERP but need to apply for MIC frequency permit in case RF power over 25mW. MIC created a new section for LPWAN 920MHz ~ 923MHz and LPWAN 433MHz. On the other hand, MIC is also drafting regulations on operating conditions (frequency and Tx power for LPWAN in a new Circular to supplement Circular 46/2016/TT-BTTTT). At this moment, MIC circular on license-free frequency bands to amend and supplement Circular 46/2016/TT-BTTTT (adding LoRa / LPWAN) is still at drafting status and not been officially released yet. But it must soon be released so as to be in-line with this Circular for LPWAN / LoRa products having Tx over 25mW. In order to apply for Type Approval for LPWAN products with Tx power over 25mW, we must wait till MIC issues a formal circular to add LoRa / LPWAN. Then, the VNTA may request applicant to submit MIC frequency permit.
4. Vietnam MIC has decided not to enforce performance test / liability test for lithium battery according to Item 2.5 of the QCVN 101:2020/BTTTT (IEC 61960-3:2017) yet and only safety test according to Item 2.6 of the QCVN 101:2020/BTTTT (IEC 62133-2:2017) shall be required. However, MIC may request to do full testing for QCVN 101:2020/BTTTT including both safety test and performance test in near future.
- According to the Circular 01/2021/TT-BTTTT, maritime radars are exempted from “Product Quality Inspection Registration” (PQIR) when importing, but still need to proceed Declaration of Conformity. However, according to Decree 74/2018/ND-CP, the Declaration of Conformity step must be proceeded as a part of PQIR process. For maritime radar, the importer must need to contact VNTA / MIC for guidance on how to apply for Declaration of Conformity for maritime radars without applying for PQIR.
The Annex I and Annex II issued together with Circular 01/2021/TT-BTTTT shall take effect from July 01, 2021 and replace the Annex I and Annex II issued together with Circular 11/2001/TT-BTTTT.