Malaysia (MCMC) - Certification Updates Pursuant To 3G Network / Non-VoLTE Product
Malaysia government has announced the implementation of the National Digital Network Plan or JENDELA under the Twelfth Malaysian Plan (2021 – 2025) to enhance digital connectivity and the quality of experience for communications network across the country.
3G network in Malaysia will be phased out by the end of 2021. The implementation namely the 3G Network Sunset, aims to improve existing 4G network and to ensure the foundation for 5G network.
The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has instructed to stop the issuance of approval and renewal of 3G-only device and 4G-capable mobile phones without Voice over LTE (VoLTE) starting from January 1, 2021.
- Certificate of Conformity (CoC)
- New issuance and renewal of Compliance Approval & Special Approval
- Registration of IMEI number and product serial number under Self-labelling Program (SLP)
- Certificate of Approval (CoA) (Import Permit for Malaysian Royal Customs (JKDM) clearance purpose)
Description and examples of affected devices are as follows:
- 3G-only devices: Any type of devices that utilize 3G (IMT-2000) technology only for example 3G mobile phone, 3G vehicle tracker, 3G smart meter etc.
- 4G-capable mobile phones without VoLTE: Any mobile phones that utilize 4G (LTE) technology but does not support VoLTE.
VoLTE – Feature that enables voice calls over 4G network.
For Certificate Holders of 4G-capable mobile phones, SIRIM will provide a form for you to declare if a certain model supports VoLTE or not. If the model supports VoLTE, its compliance to IR.92 shall be proven for the certificate to remain valid while for models without VoLTE, the Certificate Holders will no longer able to renew affected certificates and do importation starting January 1, 2021.
- By January 1, 2021 SIRIM will stop the issuance of approval and renewal of 3G-only device and 4G-capable mobile phones without Voice over LTE (VoLTE)
- By December 31, 2021 all 3G Product/non VoLTE product will be unable to use
- For those existing certified mobile phones with LTE/4G must declare to SIRIM it support VoLTE or not . If yes, then they need to submit test report according to IR.92 and GSM Association’s document for IMS Profile for Voice and SMS.
- Those that are unable to make declaration and provide evidence. The certificate will be void and importation is prohibited.