NOTE See 2.9, note to entry, regarding the use of medication order and prescription.
Comprehension of dose instructions by the patient is an overarching consideration for patient safety and the best patient outcomes. Related factors are discussed, but are not part of the primary scope.
It does not define an information model, except to the extent that those information model concepts are necessary to define business requirements.
Outside the scope of ISO/TS 17251:2016 are:
- the functionality of health, clinical and/or pharmacy systems;
- other kinds of content of health, clinical or pharmacy systems that are needed to support the whole process of health care providers, such as:
- wide range of knowledge about medicines that would be handled in drug knowledge databases and decision support systems;
- the complete medical record (EHR);
- a medicinal product dictionary.