IEC TR 62964:2015(E) provides the result of a study of some of the graphical symbols for use on equipment standardized in IEC 60417 being primarily intended to:
- identify the equipment or a part of the equipment (e.g. a control or display);
- indicate a functional state (e.g. on, off, alarm);
- designate connections (e.g. terminals, filling points for materials);
- provide information on packaging (e.g. identification of contents, instructions for handling);
- provide instruction for the operation of the equipment (e.g. limitations of use);
- in the focus of contemporary use of graphical symbols for use on multimedia equipment, and new possible meanings to be envisaged as well as new graphical symbols not yet standardized in IEC 60417.