Gas Trade: Unit 9 - Introduction to gas appliances
CSA Group's 2020 Gas Trade materials reference the Red Seal Program's trade outlines for your preparation to become a nationally recognized gasfitter. Please visit the Red Seal Program's website for more details.
Installing and reactivating gas appliances requires a thorough knowledge of venting systems, types of burners, ignition systems, controls and safeties, and the characteristics of individual vented and non-vented appliances. This unit covers the details necessary for a gas technician/fitter to safely and efficiently install appliances and the requirements for converting appliances between propane and natural gas.
At the end of this unit, you will be able to:
• Describe venting;
• Describe the operation and applications of various burners;
• Describe pilots, ignition systems, and temperature sensing devices;
• Describe controls and safeties;
• Describe non-vented and vented gas appliances;
• Describe the requirements for converting an appliance between natural gas and propane; and
• Describe the reactivation of appliances.
The 7th Edition of the Training materials are revised to include the following changes:
• Updated to current standards and codes.
• Updated assignment questions and added chapter numbers.
• Assignment questions now included at the end of each chapter.
• New preface with a listing of standards and codes referenced in each module.