Gas Trade: Unit 8 - Introduction to piping and tubing systems
CSA Group's 2019 Gas Trade materials reference the Red Seal Program's trade outlines for your preparation to become a nationally recognized gasfitter. Please visit the Red Seal Program's website for more details.
There are various types of piping and tubing systems used for gas. A thorough knowledge of these systems, as well as the associated valves and fittings, is necessary in order to properly plan for and install a piping or tubing system.
Correctly sizing the piping and tubing system supply piping depends on many factors: the length of the pipe, the supply pressure, any changes in direction of the pipe, etc. Installation requirements also depend on the location, i.e., whether the piping or tubing system is installed underground, above ground, on a rooftop, etc. Whenever installing piping and tubing systems, they must be tested and inspected to ensure they meet the Code requirements.
At the end of this unit you will be able to:
• Describe piping and tubing systems.
• Explain how to size piping and tubing systems.
• Describe Code requirements for testing.
• Describe how to purge a system.
• Describe how to protect piping or tubing from corrosion.
The Training materials have been revised to include the following changes throughout the training units:
▪ Updated language to enhance student understanding
▪ Revised references and links to the most current legislation
▪ Revisions include new technologies used in the industry
▪ Updated look and feel