CSA Group's CNG Fuel System Inspector Certification program covers the inspection of containers, valves, pressure relief devices (PRDs) including vent system and other fuel system components of CNG-fueled vehicles. Certified personnel will have demonstrated proficiency in inspecting CNG vehicle cylinders and fuel systems, identifying and documenting defects, and the safe handling of cylinders and fuel system components. This will help enable them to perform assigned tasks safely.
- Tests for fuel system certification knowledge
- Provides formal recognition of knowledge and understanding
- Listing on a national registry of certified inspectors
- Reassessments every three years on technical developments and industry changes
This certification complies with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 17024 standard for personnel certification programs.
Many industries have converted their fleet vehicles to run on safe, cleaner-burning natural gas. Fleets of trucks, buses and cars owned & operated by cities, governments, school districts, refuse collection companies and a host of other private operations are now running on Compressed Natural Gas (CNG).
CNG cylinders and fuel systems powering natural gas vehicles must be visually inspected for external damage and deterioration at least every 36 months or 36,000 miles, after a motor vehicle accident, or at the time of reinstallation. CSA Group's CNG Fuel System Inspector Certification was developed to meet the needs of the natural gas vehicle market.
- Service, Maintenance, Safety & Fleet Personnel: Technicians, Mechanics, Maintenance managers, Fleet managers/supervisors and Fleet operators.
- Transportation services [Including but not limited to Bus transportation services (Transit, charter, intercity & rural & school buses)]
- Government / Municipal
- Fuel distributors
- Solid waste services & Recycling (Refuse)
- Automotive Repair & Maintenance Services
- Automotive Parts manufacturing
- Airport Operations
VIDEO: Natural Gas Vehicle Safety
VIDEO: Clean Vehicle Education Foundation - CNG PC Program
Click here to learn how to submit your application for CSA Group Personnel Certification Programs.ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
When your application is submitted and accepted by CSA Group, you will have 6 months to complete the certification process.
You will be permitted to challenge the written exam up to two additional times if necessary, for a total of three times per application. Additional sitting fees are applicable for second and third exam attempts as necessary.
Fees submitted with your initial application cover the application fee and one examination attempt.
Once you have passed the exam and have earned certification, you will be listed on CSA Group's People Search database of certified personnel.
While training is not mandatory, CSA Group recommends participating in an instructor-led training course consisting of:
Minimum Candidate Qualifications
- Practical performance & theory and/or knowledge of industry codes & standards
- Government regulation & industry practices and/or cylinder manufacturer product-specific training specific and/or on-the-job training
To obtain the CNG Fuel System Inspection Certification, you must at minimum be able to conduct a visual inspection of CNG cylinders and fuel systems to ensure their current level of safety and serviceability, as well as:
- Discriminate between level 1, 2, 3 damage
- Identify the four different types of cylinders
- Accurately complete an inspection form
- Identify fuel system components
- Obtain and evaluate the vehicle history to identify possible hazards
- Follow manufacturers' recommended requirements
- Demonstrate familiarity with appropriate government and industry codes & standards
- Understand concepts and safety considerations when working with CNG
- Know when to dispose of a condemned CNG cylinder