Implementing a Standards-Based Solution for the Sharing Economy
Thanks to advances in mobile internet technology, many of us have taken advantage of the sharing economy
Thanks to advances in mobile internet technology, many of us have taken advantage of the sharing economy. Readily available and with prices that are sometimes more affordable than traditional alternatives, sharing services are expected to experience continued growth. However, the inconsistency in the sharing experience and the lack of a comprehensive and flexible regulatory framework for this dynamic sector raises some major concerns.
Recognizing the unique role that standards could potentially play in addressing these major concerns, CSA Group published two reports to:
- Identify the major challenges in the sharing economy and explore the value of a standards-based solution
- Consolidate challenges, opportunities and existing best practices from around the world.
We know that standards provide a set of best practices that can be used consistently across jurisdictions while offering enough flexibility to adapt those best practices to meet local needs
says Hélène Vaillancourt, CSA Group’s Vice President of Standards Research and Planning.
This case study presents the results of a pilot project conducted to verify the adaptability and applicability of the implementation tool with the cities of Amsterdam, NL; Guelph, CA; Toronto, CA; and Tokyo, JP. The guiding principles and best practices were reviewed and compared to each of the city’s regulations, policies, and guidelines to help identify gaps and obtain feedback on CSA Group’s research initiative and implementation tool.
Related CSA Group Sharing Economy Publications
- The Rise of the Sharing Economy
- Maximizing the Gains from Sharing – An Analysis of National and International Best Practices
- Maximizing the Gains from Sharing – Best Practice Guide for Policy Makers and Other Stakeholders
- Maximizing the Gains from Sharing – Implementation Tool for Policy Makers and Other Stakeholders
Contact Standards Research
Join the Research Community
Join the CSA Community today so you can keep informed about research that is critical to standards development
When you join the CSA Community, you’ll gain access to the CSA Group Research Space. You can learn about current studies, get the latest information on upcoming programs, ask questions, andget involved in future research.
We’re always here to help. Let’s talk.
We’re here to answer your questions and help you get started right away. Call or send us a message anytime.