Why Standards Development Matters
Technology is always evolving, with new ideas, materials, and processes emerging all the time. To keep pace, CSA Group continues to develop and publish new standards and maintain existing standards to keep them relevant. We use a rigorous, balanced, and transparent process to develop standards that incorporates technical excellence, best practices and feedback from a wide range of stakeholders.
Our Standards Development Approach
CSA Group’s role is to manage and guide the development of standards. We do this by assembling the right group of stakeholders who collaborate to define minimum requirements for a process or product. We use these requirements to create solutions – which may be full-scale standards documents, or other deliverables such as guidelines or workshop agreements. In creating standards, we combine the utmost technical rigor with a transparent, consensus-based approach in which a range of voices have an opportunity to be heard. We develop standards in a wide range of areas, and we apply the same rigorous approach to the challenges of practically every industry. We draw on the expertise of over 1,600 in-house technical experts, as well as more than 9,000 volunteer subject-matter experts from across the globe. Our project managers have long experience building consensus among stakeholders with diverse or even opposing perspectives.
Standards Development Process
- Proposal: After evaluating and approving an application to develop a given standard, we publicize our intent to proceed and assign the project to a technical committee.
- Committee: Depending on the project, it may be assigned to an existing committee or a new one may be formed. We prepare a working draft of the proposal and establish a project schedule.
- First Draft: The technical committee or subcommittee develops and revises a draft standard using an iterative process, gathering and considering feedback at each stage.
- Public Review: We put the draft standard out for public review and comment. Once the technical committee reaches consensus, our internal staff conducts a quality review.
- Initial Approval: A pre-approval edit of the standard is completed. Our technical committee votes on whether to approve the technical content of the draft.
- Final Review and Publication: We review the entire process to ensure that all procedures were properly followed, and complete a final edit. The standard is then published and disseminated.
- Maintenance: Our standards are continually maintained to ensure they stay current and technically valid. We regularly publish amendments to or interpretations of standards. All of our standards go through systematic reviews no less than every five years.